Wednesday, May 20, 2009

(How to) Lose 10 lbs in 45 Days


We all have that moment when we look in the mirror and notice the extra bulge in our stomachs or hips, the moment when we think our face is a bit more round than it used to be. Believe it or not, trainers have those moments too. A few days ago I stepped on the scale to check my weight, and I was right, my weight had jumped about six pounds to 213. (With shoes on, mid-afternoon... I'll explain why that's important later) Now weight is not the best way, in fact, it is often a very inefficient way, to measure fitness levels. In my case however, knowing my body as I do, a six pound jump in little over a month is a big deal.


The past two months have seen an unfortunate array of events, not the least of which was hurting my back, which prohibited me from working out in any way. And my weight tends to fluctuate more than most people (I could weigh 230lbs very easily) Still, it was frustrating, and since I'm getting married in 45 days, I've decided to lose 10 lbs by the wedding. The advantage for me, as opposed to many of my clients, is that I have been working out for twenty years. My body retains its muscle memory, so getting in shape is not as difficult after an injury. This is something I rconsistently reiterate to my younger clients. (Between 16-24) Start now! If you wait until you're thirty-five, it becomes much more difficult to change your body's composition.


So how will I do it? Here are Five Tips:


1. Resistance training: At least three times a week. I'll probably do four. Building muscle burns fat, and while muscle weighs more than fat, I'm willing to sacrifice the extra work to lose the pounds because I want to lose fat, not muscle. Very simply, you can't get lean without resistance training. You can get slim, but not lean.


2. Cardio: I'll run three times a week. One other day of some form of cardio. I hate running, but it's the most efficient way to burn fat (unless that's all you do. Change up your cardio at least once a week) If you have issues with your knees, use the bike or elliptical instead. Go for at least twenty minutes, but try to get to thirty.


3. Grazing: Making sure I eat a small portion every three hours. No more big meals until the wedding. This part is difficult for many of my clients, especially my older ones who were raised on the "three meals a day" myth. (Confession: I've been terrible at this the past year, I usually eat twice a day, so this is a chance to provoke some good habits) You simply can't lose weight if you're eating huge meals, unless your job is hyper, hyper active (like a farmer).


4. Carb cutout: Cutting out as many carbs as I can, or keeping them to the morning where I will burn them off. My meals will be mostly meat and vegetables. No more chips. No more bread. No more (or only a tiny bit of) pasta.


5. Sleep patterns: Ensuring I get eight hours a night on a consistent basis. Your body needs the sleep to recover.


Why Measure my Weight?


As I said before, weight is generally a terrible measure. Sightlines (how you look in the mirror) and the way your clothes fit are much better indicators. In this case, I know my body well enough that the weight goal is a good fit.


When is a Weight Goal Bad?


My fiance, Bethany, who is a personal trainer with about 10% body fat (ridiculously low), recently went to her doctor for a physical. Her doctor weighed her, and told her she needed to lose weight. That, my friends, is why trainers -- and not doctors -- help people with fitness. The doctor (clearly you are not an idiot if you are a doctor) was showing signs of senility if she thought Bethany needed to "lose weight."


When should we weigh ourselves?


We are the lightest in the morning, when we are dehydrated. The important thing is to weigh yourself at a consistent time. In my case, that will be in the afternoon with shoes on. That way I'll get a consistent measure.


Final Note about Weight Loss:


Remember, the important thing is fat loss, not weight loss. Inches around the waist are more important than pounds on the scale. Since most of us do not have calipers hanging around our houses, however, we can still use weight loss to measure a portion of our fitness levels, so long as we remember it is not ALL about the pounds.


-Steve


PS Notice the chart on the left hand side of this website. I'll be posting updates there, and if anyone would like to join me, I'll put up your initials and we'll go at it together!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Food Revolution